Job Title: Producer/Reporter
This is a professional position serving as a producer (primarily) and journalist for WABE 90.1FM. This position will be expected to assist in the preparation of scripts, arranging guests and assuring the overall accuracy and interest of the programming and also requires solid experience in producing NPR style, in-depth, local stories and interviews as well as reporting and crafting informative reports of local and state news. As a producer, responsibilities include but are not limited to generating news ideas, present enriching stories, and an ability to respond to breaking news.
Shifts are assigned by News Director and are subject to change based on needs of the station. This position will serve primarily as the Morning Edition producer.
- Works under the direction of supervisor to research, write, and produce local spot news, features, pre-interviews guests, conducts live-air interviews.
- Books sources for interviews and edits for broadcast.
- Generates creative programming ideas and gathers audio for show as needed.
- Serves as WABE reporter for local and national news programs, presenting local news and feature reports in a conversational, public radio style.
- Works in cooperation with the news department to compile stories and live, on-air presentation of local content for news programs. This will be a combination of in-studio production, interviewing (some live), coverage of special news assignments as directed, working with technical equipment related to broadcasting, participating in mandatory on-air fundraising.
- Serves on behalf of the station as a spokesperson and or representative at assigned station events or other community related forums.
- Hosting on-air during news programs may be required, and air shifts will vary depending on needs of the station and station management.
- Air shifts may include, but not be limited to weekday drive time, weekday evenings, holidays and weekends. Some limited news related appearances on behalf of the radio and TV station may also be required.
- Works on deadlines and attends planning meetings.
- Participate in all radio fund raising activities and related production.
- Other duties as assigned by Station Management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Experience and Education Requirements
- BA Degree and minimum of three years of applicable experience.
- Demonstrated experience and proven track record in gathering news, anchoring/reporting, writing scripts as well as interviewing and production.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and producing both short and long form news content (Ability to use desktop editing, studio production equipment, and reporter field kit).
- Must be able to set up and engineer two-way interviews.
- Must be able to quickly make judgments and know how to analyze what is newsworthy.
- Must be proficient in the use and handling of audio compact flash recorders and moving recorded product into automation system.
Necessary Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to run an air control board and fill in as host on news shifts when needed.
- Excellent and proven ability to edit in the multi-track mode of Adobe Audition or similar audio edit by software, and able to train others on its use.
- Must develop understanding of NPR’s newsmagazine clocks and how best to utilize local news breaks to ensure local and national sound and quality uniformity.
- Must be able to handle a variety of activities, work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Contributes to fundraising activities as directed by management.
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal and communication skills are a must in this position.
- Digital reporting experience is a plus.
- Knowledge of the Atlanta area is preferred.
To apply, submit resume and cover letter to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org -or- email: firstname.lastname@example.org