To many, the winter months are a dead zone in the realms of entertainment and activity. People prefer to hide out and stay warm in their homes.
Instead of letting you shut yourself in to binge-watch Netflix over a bowl of cookie dough, WABE has compiled a list of fun things to do during the winter months.
- Go ice skating at Atlantic Station: Until Feb. 14, Atlantic Station is hosting Skate Atlanta, a skating rink at the station with different themed events on special days. General admission is $13 but seniors, children, military and students can lace up their skates for $10.
- Winter Fest at the Georgia Aquarium: The Georgia Aquarium is hosting a number of events throughout January and February including family events such as film screenings and Toddler Time, as well as adult-oriented events involving tapas and drinks. The aquarium features special pricing activities as well throughout the event.
- Explore the world of “The Hunger Games”: Tour filming sites of the “Hunger Games” films in Atlanta during the Victory Tour. Ending on May 1, the three-hour tour walks guests through the set of President Snow’s Mansion, as well as lends some behind-the-scenes looks at various districts from the film series. General admission is $65.
- Family Festival at Woodruff Arts Center: The High Museum of Art is hosting a Family Festival on Feb. 14 at noon. The event will feature an interactive self-guided museum tour as well as a dance performance, crafts area and Valentine’s Day activities.
- Prepare for the Oscars: The Academy Awards are on Feb. 28, so you still have plenty of time to catch up on this season’s nominated movies and talent.
- Go to the circus: The Ringling Bros. and Barnum & Bailey Circus is coming to Atlanta from Feb. 10-15 and to Duluth from Feb. 18-28. This traveling show features exotic animals and death-defying feats.
- Learn to paint: GAS-Art Gifts is hosting bi-weekly bring-your-own-beverage parties on Fridays and Saturdays from 4 to 6 p.m. and 7 to 9 p.m. All art supplies are included, and all parties are being taught by children’s book illustrator R. Gregory Christie.
- Become a photographer: The Smyrna Community Center is offering private photography lessons that come to your home or office. Lessons are available Monday through Saturday at 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.
- Taste wines from around the world: The Wine Cellars in Smyrna hosts a wine tasting every every Saturday from 2 to 4 p.m. The wine tasting is $5 per person and each event allows guests to sample five different wines from around the world.
- Escape from a room: The Ultimate Escape Game: Atlanta is an interactive brainteaser where participants are tasked with escaping a room by uncovering clues as to how to reach the exit. Groups work against the clock in this family-oriented event that builds teamwork.