Job Title: Newscast/Producer Reporter
This is a professional position serving as a general assignment reporter and afternoon newsmagazine producer for WABE 90.1FM. This position requires solid experience in producing NPR style, in-depth, local stories and interviews as well as reporting and crafting informative reports of local and state news. As a producer, responsibilities include but are not limited to generation of news ideas, presentation of enriching stories, and quick response to breaking news.
Shifts are assigned by News Director and are subject to change based on needs of the station.
- Works under the direction of supervisor to research, write, and produce local spot news, report features, gather audio, and conduct interviews.
- Books sources for interviews and news stories for broadcast, with a particular focus on daily/breaking news.
- Generates creative programming ideas.
- Serves as WABE reporter for local and national news programs, presenting local news and feature reports in a conversational, public radio style.
- Works with editors and beat reporters to update the news futures calendar.
- Serves on behalf of the station as a spokesperson and/or representative at assigned station events or other community related forums, and participates in mandatory on-air fundraising.
- Hosting on-air during news programs may be required, and air shifts will vary depending on needs of the station and station management. Air shifts may include, but are not be limited to: weekday drive time, weekday evenings, holidays and weekends. Some limited news-related appearances on behalf of the radio and TV station (PBA30) may also be required.
- Serves as the backup producer for All Things Considered.
- Works on deadlines.
- Other duties as assigned by Station Management.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Experience and Education Requirements
- BA Degree and minimum of two years of applicable experience.
- Demonstrated experience and proven track record in gathering news, anchoring/reporting, writing scripts as well as interviewing and production.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and producing both short and long form news content (Ability to use desktop editing, studio production equipment, and reporter field kit).
- Must be able to set up and engineer two-way interviews.
- Must be able to quickly make judgments and know how to analyze what is newsworthy.
Skills and Abilities
- Must be able to run an on-air control board and fill in as host on news shifts when needed.
- Excellent and proven ability to edit in the multi-track mode of Adobe Audition or similar audio editing software, and able to train others on its use.
- Must develop understanding of NPR’s newsmagazine clocks and how best to utilize local news breaks to ensure local and national sound and quality uniformity.
- Must be able to handle a variety of activities, work well under pressure and meet tight deadlines.
- Contributes to fundraising activities as directed by management.
- Exceptional organizational, interpersonal and communication skills are essential in this position.
- Digital reporting experience and familiarity with AP Style writing.
- Knowledge of the Atlanta region is preferred.
To apply, submit resume and cover letter to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org -or- email: firstname.lastname@example.org