Job Title: Front End Developer
Department: Digital and Social Media
As PBA’s Front End Web Developer, you’ll take our underlying framework to maintain and create unique and user friendly experiences. The position reports to the Director of Digital and Social Media and serves as the lead developer for the organization.
The Front End Developer position is responsible for the maintenance and evolution of PBA digital platforms and the future development of additional digital products. The primary focus of the position will be maintaining the infrastructure of digital platforms, development of new products and execution of projects -- including streaming video, video on demand, template-driven publishing, prototyping, social media integration, automated syndication of content and web analytics.
Applicants must have excellent communication and project management skills with the ability to work on a diverse arrangement of projects on varying deadlines while keeping and maintaining positive working relationships.
- Maintain cross-browser, fully functional web pages while strictly adhering to industry standards in development.
- Contribute to task identification, work effort estimates, and work schedules for development and maintenance activities.
- Research and introduce new technologies.
- Provide ideas for technical or workflow / process improvements.
- Create new applications, plugins, and techniques in order to increase the efficiency of our current processes.\
- Work cooperatively with other developers, project managers, and graphic designers to bring their visions to life.
- Manage WordPress projects from staging to launch.
- Ensure complete, fluid-width responsive design for all device sizes.
- Provide development and support of digital systems and mobile apps.
- Test and validate code provided by vendors.
- Support non-technical staff members and help resolve content management system-related issues and other related (technical) issues.
- Complete tasks within a given timeline and update status per project using our internal systems.
- Enhance our website by producing/contributing to code and libraries.
- Use varying content management systems, including WordPress, to configure and customize PBA websites.
- Collaborate with product managers and web producers to support site operations and meet project deadlines.
- Review new code (self and vendor) following web standards and strict QA guidelines.
- Review standards of implementation to ensure top-quality strategies on all digital products.
- Ability to write quality documentation to support the work of other developers and vendors.
- Understands responsibility to consider and interpret internal and external stakeholders in all digital projects.
- Comfortable handling multiple projects simultaneously.
- Open to learning new technologies and creating new user experiences on websites, apps, and streaming products.
- Daily Testing deliverables against a range of criteria including cross-browser, cross-platform, and/or cross-device compatibility.
- Ensures applications meet business requirements and approved brand, security, programming and support standards.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor's Degree in technical discipline or equivalent experience
- Advanced knowledge of HTML5, CSS3 and XSL
- Deep knowledge working with XSL, XSLT, and XML stylesheets
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Excellent communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and actualize those strategies in application design.
- Ability to evaluate new and emerging technologies and vendor products in order to constructively apply them to meet identified business and technology goals.
- Experience integrating applications and designing and developing web services and frameworks
- Strong understanding and experience with MySQL
- Experience with test-driven development strategies with an emphasis on extensive QA procedures
- Strong ability to diagnose critical problems and develop solutions
- 2+ years of experience with PHP, a plus
Strong presenting skills, detail oriented and must possess excellent verbal and interpersonal communications skills. Must be highly motivated, enthusiastic and possess desire to achieve, with an ability to be a self-starter. Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 5 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment.
To apply, submit resume and cover letter to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org -or- email: firstname.lastname@example.org