Job Title: Education Specialist
Department: WPBA TV30
As an organization that values education at the core of its mission, PBA seeks an Education Specialist that will leverage resources available through our PBS affiliation and develop and implement education programs in under-resourced communities that enhance the environment for learning. Works with station personnel, producers and partners to create and disseminate high quality, standards-based, K-12 educational assets and curriculum components that augment and extend the reach and value of PBA throughout the community it serves. Educational assets may include video, interactive, and/or print materials delivered via public television, web and emerging platforms. The Educational Specialist works closely with PBA’s education partners and provides counsel to PBA on how best to specifically engage K-12 educators and students through PBA’s work in public media.
- Leads the station’s coordinated effort to create and disseminate high quality, K-12, educational resources that augment PBA broadcast productions, ensuring materials align with academic standards currently in use in Atlanta. Coordinate project, budget, resource creation, outreach and training efforts.
- Provide counsel in the development of educational goals and objectives for projects; advise on appropriate use of media and technology to accomplish educational goals.
- Maintain and expand knowledge of educational standards, pedagogy and trends. Liaison with Atlanta Public Schools and metro school districts.
- Write and edit curriculum materials such as student activities, instructional guides or educator support materials.
- Assist with writing and editing scripts for media assets. As needed, contract with and guide other content developers, writers and freelance project personnel.
- Work closely with show producers to identify K-12 educational opportunities in general audience projects; provides input on project development; participates as an active team member.
- Establish guidelines for developing, producing and disseminating learning objects and companion materials; collaborate with Production, Online, Community Engagement and other PBA units on workflow processes that ensure the successful creation and dissemination of assets for educational use.
- Work with PBA Digital, Marketing & Outreach staff to assist in developing and implementing strategies to reach educators including developing and delivering presentations and workshops for outreach and professional development.
- Assist in documenting project effectiveness by obtaining, compiling and analyzing feedback and evaluations.
- Assist in developing informal learning materials and supporting resources (e.g.; discussion guides) for key projects that involve community engagement work.
- Continue to build knowledge of and proficiency with media technologies and their potential for serving students and teachers.
- Participate in fundraising for educational work by assisting in researching and writing grant proposals and making in-person presentations to potential and current funders.
- Effectively engage diverse perspectives and experiences in work product and in organizational interactions, including communication and decision-making.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s Degree required, preferably in K-12 education.
- K-12 teaching or non-classroom professional education experience required.
- Familiarity with academic standards used in Department of Education.
- Knowledge of teacher resources and how teachers access resources; understanding of school and classroom environments and department of education policy.
- Strong computer, presentation development and organizational skills.
- Strong instructional technology including interactive whiteboard and other technology used in the classroom.
Requirements: Strong presenting skills and must possess excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communications skills. Must be highly motivated, enthusiastic and possess desire to achieve, with an ability to be a self-starter. Must be able to work independently as well as in a team environment.
- Presentation Skills
- Strategic Thinking
- Project Management
- Customer/Client Focus
- Organizational Skills
- Team Work Orientation
Work Environment & Physical Demands:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Individuals may need to sit or stand as needed. May require walking primarily on a level surface for periodic periods throughout the day. Reaching above shoulder heights, below the waist or lifting as required (up to 5 lbs.), filing documents or store materials throughout the workday. Proper lifting techniques required. For the most part ambient room temperatures, lighting and traditional office equipment as found in a typical office environment.
To apply, submit resume and cover letter to:
Public Broadcasting Atlanta
Attention: Human Resources
740 Bismark Rd. NE
Atlanta, GA 30324
Apply online at: www.wabe.org -or- email: email@example.com